Saturday, September 01, 2007

Who is My Enemy?

Who is My Enemy?

Rich Nathan

Zondervon, 2002



This book wasn't on my original list but with all the time I've had to read lately that I should have been using to study Portuguese, I decided to pick this one off the shelf of WMF staff members bookshelf. And I'm really glad that I did. It proved to be a fantastic book that I'm glad I spent the past couple days reading. It went through a few sub cultures that are sometimes viewed in opposition to the cause of Christ. The sub-culture is explained in great detail, then through testimonies, other forms of story, and scripture Nathan describes how the church has rejected and can embrase these beloved people. The categories were: Post Modernity, Feminism, Homosexuality, New Age, and Liberal. I found the explanation section on Post Modernity one of the most complete and detailed. I found the section on homosexuality to be the most loving account I have heard so far from any evangelical that still came down on the conviction that it is sinful. I was very impressed by this loving responce.
Some quotes that stuck with me: "As we carry out our ministry of welcome, we will season our moral stances with profound mercy and compassion for a hurting world." pg 10. "What is most wrong with the world is that the people of God fail to act and live like the people of God." pg 28. "Whether women should be in leadership or teach men, however, is not in the category of a Moral command. If it were, God would not violate his own standards by ever allowing a women to lead or to teach a man. God never violates his own holiness. But without condemnation, the Bible does portrey women teaching and leading men." pg 154-5. "Homosexuality is clearly not God's will, according to Scripture, but than neither are many chronic conditions such as asthma, multiple sclerosis, and birth defects. Yet, in this fallen and broken world, such things exist." pg 190. and a quote from Lincoln on pg 240, "My concern is not whether God is on our side, but whether we are on God's side!"
Then my favorite quote of all was quoting an old comic character, Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

No comments: