Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Reconciliation

I wonder if reconciliation is not our number two task this side of life. Most of my life I think I've been trying to define what I am not, who I'm not associated with, what I don't do, etc...

This is what Wikipedia has to say...

Reconciliation may mean the following:

  • Reconciliation may be seen as part of a process of restoring a relationship gone wrong, typically as the result of one party causing a rift, by putting an end a relationship of enmity and by substituting for one of peace and good will. This may be the relationship between individuals or between nations or between God and human beings.
  • Reconciliation is a Roman Catholic sacrament in which a priest proclaims forgivness of confessed sin.
  • Yom Kippur is a Jewish holiday, considered by Jews to be the holiest and most solemn day of the year; its central theme is atonement and reconciliation.
  • The Southern Truth and Reconciliation group is formed by individuals in Atlanta, Georgia, to assist local communities in the South where racial violence had made racial separation a fact of daily life.
  • Reconciliation is the process of healing cultural divisions between non-indigenous and indigenous Australians.
As the number two task in life I think instead of trying to separate myself from people I should be working to restore commanality with all people.
There has been enmity between people and other people and with God. I want to be intentional about not building more walls of separation but to tear down those walls that we all build up to draw nearer to each other and to God. Our number one task will come later. I'm sure you already know where I'm going with this one anyway.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (this whole paragraph is awesome really)
"All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation."

And the cat is finally out of the bag, I can share my secret that many of you already know but I didn't want to make it public until I at least talked with my mom. That has been done with the most positive results so here is the news: I'm applying for Word Made Flesh. The last of my paperwork will get mailed out tomorrow then hopefully I'll have a phone interview Wednesday the 7th that you could be praying about. I emailed the servant team leader in Kolkata today that one of my Wheaton friends knows. Her name is Beth, you can pray for her also. I was greatly encouraged reading her newsletter from the begining of this month. It was sprinkled throughout with such bold love. God has been leading me by the hand in this direction and I've been shocked at how simple it has been to follow this leading. God has paved the way thus far. Road blocks are inevitable at some point but currently I just have such peace. Peace that passes understanding. peace...I like to meditate on that. With this peace I must walk boldly into the unknown knowing I will not go alone. Praise God!

And lastly, I ATE TIM-TAMS TODAY!!!!! They were so ooey-gooey delicious. Reminded me of my first experience with Tim-Tams just after returning from China while I was still recovering from the time change and realizing the impact of it all. Wow. Once again, all the events of life are pointing towards the call and I feel peace. Amen

1 comment:

Portrait of Peter said...

Reconciliation is indeed a process which I often feel that I have to undertake throughout my life.

Refreshing to know that I am not the only one to encounter this obligation.

Thank you for sharing.